La Roule de Paris Spins Through Bangkok


Our block in Bangkok has a new view - La Roule de Paris, a 60 meter high ferris wheel. Purportedly straight from Paris, with previous stints in the UK and The Netherlands, this flashy shiny wheel will be stationed at the Suan Lum Night Bazaar for a total of 6 months (till mid-November or so). I guess I'll have to give it a spin before it rolls away. If I snap any stellar shots from its heights I'll be sure to post them.

La Roule de Paris spins in Bangkok


The Suan Lum Night Bazaar (for those who haven't visited yet -- hee hee) is our next door neighbour. It's a 45 acre compound (or so this site claims - it doesn't seem that big to me), 3,000 stall, government (vs. mafia) run market. It's actually pretty good with a lot of unique vendors and artisans. We especially appreciate its surprisingly effective sound-absorbing system (intentional or not). Despite the giant stage with loud live music every night to entertain beer garden crowds, somehow the deafening din doesn't penetrate to our little community on the other side of the wall. We're not sure how that's possible, but we like it!

WARNING!! - No children should read this section!

I took the above photo while viewing the wheel with a couple of visiting Cannucks - friends of friends (now first tier friends in their own right). I won't mention names to preserve the reputation of a soon-to-be successful lawyer, but there's a tale I have to tell. As we got chummy, and chatted about home, a daring confession was made: my new friend had been, as a boy, in love with a certain blue beauty - Smurfette. He could still describe vividly the photo he was lucky enough to capture in her embrace as a 10-year-old at Canada's Wonderland. The punch line? That Smurf was ME! I thought it was hilariously funny at first, but then... he seemed a little freaked out. Like I had shattered something of his childhood. And then I realised I had broken the cardinal rule for costumed characters - I destroyed the magic.

Sorry!



« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

July 23, 2006 1:02 a.m.

You're not much older, but how did it make you feel? I keep saying, it's a SMALL world out there.    

  • Anonymous Anonymous


July 25, 2006 3:52 p.m.

It's funny. He said he lives in Maple which I said I know well having worked at Wonderland... as Smurfette. Then he lapsed into nostalgia, not thinking it could have been me since I wouldn't be older enough - but I am, 9 years older enough. So I guess that's what happens when you look young for your age.    



July 28, 2006 4:31 a.m.

Awww! That's so sweet! (The crush and the meeting, I mean, not the shattered dreams...)    



» Post a Comment