There are no coincidences


A post from Jan: As some of you might know, I am in Calgary as we speak, here to help out with the Falun Gong float in the Stampede parade (already done) as well as to gain access to my much-ignored "photo-bin" -- a repository of all of my pre-digital photography. I plan to digitise some of the best images to build a portfolio. Also, as the previous post attests, I get to see one of my favourite nephews and his parents, as well as a number of other friends.

But let's cut to the chase -- there's a story to be told here. Last Friday, in pursuit of a high angle photo of our float, I walked the entire parade route looking for a suitable vantage point. I found only one, a rooftop patio around nine stories up.

I saw an elevator that looked like it fit the bill, got on, and soon found myself amidst a small rooftop crowd chatting steadily away about matters both interesting and mundane. I struck up a few conversations near the guardrail, and discovered that yes, indeed, an excellent view was to be had.

The Falun Dafa float at the Calgary Stampede parade
500,000 people on the street apparently saw it that day

I soon noticed that there was also free food at the venue, and it quickly dawned on me that I was at some sort of function, likely a private one. The moment that thought struck, a man politely asked me if I was part of this or that company, and let me know in no uncertain terms that it was definitely a "private" affair. I apologised for crashing the party, and as I turned my heels to leave, before me stood a familiar face.

"UBC, ten years ago?" I whispered (UBC is University of British Columbia, for the uninitiated).

I was met with a confused look.

"Jan?"

Turns out that lab partner and also good friend from my early undergraduate days was one of the crowd, and in an instant I was transformed from being a party crasher to a party guest.

I shared with him the short version of the last ten years of my life, and he did likewise with me. As I spoke about my near-miraculous healing from Guillain-Barre syndrome through Falun Gong, he looked particularly interested, and later asked many questions about it. Turns out he has an illness that has plagued him since we knew each other, and like I once did, is looking for "alternate" ways to deal with it -- modern medicine being at a loss.

We'll see each other soon in Edmonton.

As our conversation was drawing to a close, I saw the Falun Dafa float approaching in the parade, and we both went to the railing to look and take photos. You've already seen one of the resulting images. Here's another one, from a little earlier during my stay up high:

The band that led the Stampede parade: Perfect formation

This image is quite fitting as a closer to this little story. Through this day's events, I faced once again with a strong sense that everything happens for a reason, that it is somehow all arranged perfectly, much as was this band -- the music was also strikingly well performed. I often tell people that I don't believe in coincidences. When I shared this idea with my friend, all he could do was nod profusely in agreement.

Great to see you again, Sid.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

July 11, 2006 9:45 p.m.

I love the title and the time of this post.
I AM, here for a reason.
Despite death threats from the POLICE, I still bring you info on abuses here in CANADA. It is funny as I've often said;
"Coincidences, are the lazy one's way of explaining events so they don't have to think about it any further."
Please visit and find out by what "coincidence" I'm here.
your humble servant
Ancient Clown    



» Post a Comment