Rolling through Rajasthan


Cindy here, just back in Bangkok after cycling across Rahjastan - twice. It's a magnificent trip featuring B&R's signature ability to get you way way out there... but with a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Naturalement we visited forts and palaces, saw plenty of camels, monkeys and hairy pigs (not to mention the ubiquitous Holy Cow!) and road our bikes through the desert landscape that seems best at producing children, the kind who come tearing across the expansive countryside, screaming hello and pumping their arms like crazy hoping for some acknowledgment. Of course you shout and wave back at them and of course they shout again, so you shout again, so they shout again and we all have a whale of a time. In the villages it feels more like a parade or you're about to win the Tour de France the way they line the streets and try for a high-five as you peddle by (behaviour to be strongly discouraged given that we are not Tour de France level cyclists).

I got oh so many great shots but here are but a few to share.

In the village of Devi Garh, about 25 km NE of Udaipur, we stayed in an over-the-top 18th century fort, once abandoned now 5-star hotelled. This is in the village, not in the hotel.

Another shot in the village, not the hotel.


A monkey with things to think about. What more is there to say? I found him taking a wee break from people watching near the Amber Fort in Jaipur.


Henna Hands. Mom and daughter's (as my dear sister amazingly guessed!).


So we're out in the total middle of the desert, having lunch and a Dhurrie rug making demo, and the rug master starts showing us how he can put his leg behind his head. So everyone starts pulling out their bar tricks and it comes to me. Now I don't want to wow them with anything too spectacular so I say, "I can stand on my head." Guess I still can.

(I couldn't resist adding this one for my mom)
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

February 20, 2007 9:24 a.m.

Well done!! Mom (& Dad) are impressed. That's what they're paying you for???
Love ya.    

  • Anonymous Anonymous


February 24, 2007 4:00 a.m.

Hi Cindy and Jan. I lived in Rajasthan and loved it there. I miss the colourful Langha Cholis the women wear and the camels. I did the camel ride through the dessert, not bikes. Sounds ambitious.

Val Venema    

  • Anonymous Anonymous


April 14, 2007 10:49 p.m.

The monkey's thinking that How wonderful Cindy is! Ha~

Hello from Lawrence, Th.    

  • Anonymous Anonymous


» Post a Comment