The Chat Box Chatter Award goes to...


[Photo of the Day] Meet Przemek*

He was Jan's 'counterpart' in 2003-04, running a youth exchange to Poland. He's a writer, painter and can recite Monty Python in Polish. He is seen here holding what he thinks is a real baby - his baby. Note the warm woollies and the proud protective glint in his eye. Just don't mention the kid looks nothing like him.

Actually, he, Jan and the rest of the Canada World Youth team were participating in a teen-pregnancy prevention experiment. For an entire weekend, participant pairs had to care for a computer chip "baby" that acts like the real thing: when it cries, you jump - does it need to be fed? changed? burped? put to bed? have its head supported!?... "I did all that already - why won't it stop?!" At the end of the weekend the baby produces a computer printout of how you did (if only real babies did the same). Apparently this little baby is a great reality check that takes the mystique out of being a high school mom.

* For those of you who don't speak Polish, start by saying "psh" of pshaw and end with "emic" of polemic. Didn't that make it easier?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

August 05, 2005 4:36 p.m.

When I was a little boy growing up in Ciechanowiec if someone told me I'd be getting the Chat Box Chatter Award I'd never have believed it. I really don't deserve this. But I have allergy and I don't deserve that either. I'd just like to say to all the other nominees in the audience "I don't think that I deserve it any more than the rest of you". I'd like to say that. I don't think that it would be true, though. This has definitely been the highlight of my day! Thank you.    

  • Anonymous Anonymous


August 09, 2005 10:47 p.m.

Jan recalls making strict rules about Przemek being the primary caregiver...which wasn't really a problem because Przemek was very dedicated to this little android...    



» Post a Comment